As Thomas Fire begins to slow its spread, please be aware of potential scams involving people posing as electric workers and other contractors across the Central Coast area.
To prevent contractor fraud in fire aftermath, please take the following precautions per suggested protocol:
- Take a photo of your contractor, their vehicle, and its license plate.
- Take a photo of the contractor’s business card and driver’s license.
- Photograph or scan their contracting license and insurance.
- Photograph or scan the contract made with him/her.
- Photograph or scan all checks and money orders made as payments to the contractor. Do not pay 100% of costs upfront.
Please be smart and vigilant as our communities begin the recovery process.